Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Joyful Uncertainty

From My Utmost for His Highest:

“We are not uncertain of God, but uncertain of what He is going to do next.
If we are only certain in our beliefs, we get dignified and severe and have the ban of finality about our views; but when we are rightly related to God,
life is full of spontaneous, joyful uncertainty and expectancy.” (emphasis mine)

I have a new job. I have been looking for a new job for months. Actively. Utilizing connections; creating connections! I was not alone; one of my dearest friends and coworkers was in the same boat. This job hunt, while devastating, drew us closer together. A blessing. Together we would pray for the search, proofread and even rewrite cover letters, send emails full of potential future jobs. Three of the number of our “allies” left during these months for their new careers. Were it not for this friend, and her Godly influence (peppered heavily with snarky understanding,) I would have been much more desperate; not “joyful” in my uncertainty; not expectant. Like most trying periods of life, I am very grateful that I was forced to the decision of whether I would rely more heavily on God or if I would abandon myself to my own meager resources. And that I chose the former.

The old job was full of corruption. I wish I could say I rose above it, but far too often I gave in to the atmosphere and returned cattiness with cattiness; game for game. I did not stoop to deceit. But the longer I remained the harder it was for me to *love* those who were having affairs, abusing substances, and lying habitually. I judged them. I made less and less of an effort to be a light. Often during my search I wondered if God was punishing me for this behavior… that common tit-for-tat picture of The Almighty being allowed room to roam.

Somewhere, I wish I could pinpoint the moment… although I know I wavered from time to time… but the moment when I gave in. Instead of praying for this or that job application to be noticed and get results, I began to pray “Lord, if you want me to stay here, I will.” That’s it. And I began to relax. “Be Still” is a command that I have to remind myself of quite often when it comes to the relationship with Him. It’s not a suggestion; it is a command. It is perhaps one of the best to test if you doubt His desire to grant you what is best for you. In this case, it brought peace. It brought the ability to fulfill my job’s expectations beyond just getting by. It brought freedom to experience that “joyful uncertainty and expectancy!”

The changes began to bleed outside of the work life; perhaps it has something to do with the work life not mattering so much? I began exercising again, but less strictly. I began eating better. I began seeking out time spent with friends on weeknights instead of a routine of isolation at home. There has got to be some connection.

I knew that taking better care of me would result in feeling better about me; that was no shocker.

What I had forgotten was how letting people in can transform your life. Yes, it complicates it. However, it’s still easier to carry a one-ton load with assistance than it is to carry a quarter-ton load alone. Or something like that. :)

Entering into situations without presuming to know what the outcome will be has never been my strength. Tell me the upcoming event and I will plan out at least 2 possible outcomes. The more time I have to plan the more long term I will go with possible consequences, be they good or bad. The more connections/reasons I will draw. The more I will raise either my fears or my hopes.

The new job I have, while in a different form of broadcasting, is in broadcasting still. From the moment I had an interview my mind went to the hopeful route of “so THIS is why I’ve been working in broadcasting these 2 years!” Thankfully I had friends to keep me grounded without dashing my hopes. Thankfully during the strange delays of the process, I’d let people in enough to begin to listen when they said I have more to offer than I believe.
Thankfully God gave me this job for HIS reasons and not my own.

These days I feel differently than I have for the past few months.
Some days, I feel like George Costanza; I will do the exact opposite of everything I feel I should and somehow things just work out.
Some days, I’m waiting for the other shoe to fall.
Some days, I’m just plain *happy*.
Some days, I can’t even think in one single stream of consciousness for the wonder of Christ overwhelms me.
Some days, I’m terrified and doubt myself on every front.
And some days… some days I just GET it... that life is taken one step at a time, regardless of the future steps I lay out mentally.
And that He always gives me “just enough light for the step I’m on.”

7 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I wish you the best of luck in this new chapter in your life. I've always enjoyed reading your blogs, as you are a very talented writer. I'm sorry that your time at the station was not as rewarding as you would have hoped. My advice, is that in the future you shouldn't allow your judgements of others to affect your own happiness. People make mistakes. You should read the book of Hosea. It talks about loving people even when they make decisions that you do not agree with. Geesh, that's kinda what being a good Christian is all about right?? Well anyways, I just wanted to drop you a line and wish you the best of luck. Even though we were never friends, I certainly respect you and appreciate the work you did here. Best wishes on your new path and in your walk with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Emily, both your post and the Anonymous response were great. Although I hope to hear more about the new job -who, what, where, when-

    Of course, now that things are so much smoother you'll be spending all your time thinking about my projects, right? :grin

    @jesterhay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emily!

    I just stumbled on your blog and had to say that while I'm not a Christian, I enjoyed this post, nonetheless!

    Thankfully God gave me this job for HIS reasons and not my own.

    Beautiful.

    Best of luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked President Lincoln's formation of the same sentiment-we should not hope God is on our side. We should hope we are on His.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God surely led you to deceive your old employer by getting paid full time, ducking out during work hours, and working for your new employer.

    Very honorable, very Christian.

    The ability to lie is a liability.

    The worst lies are the lies we tell ourselves. We live in denial of what we do, even what we think. We do this because we're afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darkness calls to darkness, those who dwell in it do so because exposure to the light burns their soul and brings their immoral ways to the surface for all to see. The denizens of the dark have succumbed so completely that their only desire is to snuff out any flame that sheds even the tiniest flicker of light into their vile shadow.

    As Christians, we have been commanded to seek out those who live in darkness and show them the light. Modern, politically-correct society will tell you that we have to tolerate any and every lifestyle, action, and opinion, and that we are hypocrites if we pass judgement on those who choose to live differently than we do. THIS IS A LIE STRAIGHT FROM THE MOUTH OF SATAN. God commands us to seek out those who are not saved and share his Word with them. We are imperfect tools called to spread a message of perfect salvation, and since we are imperfect beings, we often times stumble in our task, especially if overwhelmed with darkness. God loves us enough to forgive our stumbles and lift us up from the pits of despair we often find ourselves in. We are not commanded to be perfect, and if we were, no human in history save One would ever be given entrance to Heaven.

    Attacking someone's faith and morality because of their work ethic, or some of their poor choices in the past, because they mirror your own or because they bring yours to surface or because you lack understanding of what it truly means to live a Christian life, makes you a tool for the devil. Christians are told to judge others' actions and motives so that those being judged may come to realize their wicked ways and seek redemption. One day soon, we will all be judged on a intensly personal, individual basis, and it is not our reputation or employment that will hang in the balance, but our eternal souls. It is because God loves all creation so much that Christians are called to spread the Word of the Gospel on this earth, bringing light to its darkness.

    My hope is that the anonymous posters (who I assume are now former co-workers) can realize that this blog post was not to insult them, call them out, or anything of such a trivial nature. It was meant as an expression of gratitude and praise to our Lord as well as to call out the need for light in your workplace, especially now that the two strongest sources of it are gone.

    A man who allows himself to be completely consumed by sin will hate his life, job, and anyone who rises out of his pit because God never intended for us to live in such darkness. There is no greater way to improve your life than to give yourself over to Christ, accept his salvation, and live freely in Him. Darkness brings only pain, and it may seem comforting because it is all you know, but there is a better life for you just a prayer away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Just when I might be tempted - literally - to doubt myself as a father (it is, after all, nearly the eve of Father's Day) and even as a man of God, my godly kids make the choice (and have such excellent ability) to step up and lead the way back into light and truth. I am humbled to think that even through my fumbling attempts to lead - indeed often in spite of them - that you two have bonded so well together and are both such fonts of such wisdom and love as you have expressed here.

    Em, I can do no better than to echo your brother's sentiments, and add my love, prayers and support to his.

    Well done; well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete