Friday, June 26, 2009

an ignorant altercation

I left for work at my usual time this morning. Meaning I'd be approximately 8 minutes "late" to work. But, since 8 minutes isn't really that different than 12 minutes, and my supply of smokey treats was dwindling, I decided to stop at the QT on 15th and Grand for a couple of packs of marlboro's before hitting the freeway to work.

Boy, am I glad I did.

This QT is always jam-packed on mornings, with people from all walks of life and parts of the world. But, QT employees being efficient, the wait was not long. I was just telling the fresh-faced chap behind the counter what brand of sunshine I desired when into the convenience store walked a 30-something year old man. This african-american man was somewhat short, dressed business casual, plus a baseball cap and sunglasses. Raising his voice to be heard by the cashiers: "Ya'll better call the police, there's about to be an altercation out there. I'm not joking. There's an ignorant woman out there, and I'm going back out to do my part in this altercation, so call the police. I'm serious." The cashiers eyes widened a bit, but he simply said "Okay." and directed anothere cashier to do so. The other patrons either hurried up and stepped outside to watch, or ignored the situation. A few of us exchanged wide-eyed glances and half smiles over this scene.

Outside I went, directly to my vehicle. People were stepping out behind their cars to watch the scene taking place at the Grand Ave exit of QT's lot. Everyone's windows were down despite the warm weather. I thought about ignoring it, but then realized, "this doesn't happen every day," and shut off the radio, rolling my windows down, too.The man who had forewarned the QT employees was standing next to a '90s model blue taurus, along with a taller african-american man. I couldn't hear or see the driver of said car. I can't quote verbatim what was being said, but it was something like this: "You're IGNORANT! You don't know anything. Go ahead! Call your uncles and cousins. Call everyone! We'll take 'em. Ignorant! You're just plain ignorant!" By this point I was actually driving up behind said Taurus. I hadn't a choice if I intended to leave at all, and the driver (whom the defenders had already distinguished as female) seemed determined to drive away. The two gentlemen were walking back towards their vehicle, located at the petrol pump nearest the Taurus as I idled behind it. "We gotta get to work. F her ignorance. Whatever. She probably lives off of lawd knows who, anyway. WE have to go to work," said the two. The woman in front of me was on her cell phone. Suddenly she geared into reverse. Seemingly "ignorant" of the fact that I was behind her. Gentleman 1 addressed me (my windows were still down) "Watch out now, she's IGNORANT and likely to back right into you!" I nodded sort of, reversed my own car enough to allow the accused to back into the QT lot again. I took a look at her; how could I not? She was in her 40s, a round woman sporting a baseball cap, still talking on her phone. Very unassuming looking, actually. I turned my attention back to leaving this lovely lot, when Gentleman spoke to me again. "See! She's ignorant! She called us __insert N word here__!" To which my left hand flew up to cover my mouth which had opened in surprise as I gasped and my eyebrows shot up. "Yeah! Right?" He said in response to my reaction to her tabboo. I eased forward a bit more, hollering "good luck?!" to the parking lot in general I suppose. To my right, coming up Grand Ave was a patrol car. I was torn between staying to witness the scene and actually going to work...I chose work.

Although, thinking back and considering the all-staff meeting which took place first thing...I might as well have stayed and enjoyed this bucolic scene of semi-urban Americana...People are fascinating! I don't think I'll ever choose to live in the suburbs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment